SPRINGFIELD, Mo. – The Evangel football program will honor the first teams in the program's history, September 8-9 with several activities during the weekend to celebrate 40 years of Crusader football.
Weekend activities will begin Friday afternoon as members of the first Evangel football teams from 1977-82 are invited for the weekend. Registration is open to all and will close Friday, September 1 as members are encouraged to stay at the DoubleTree Hotel located at 2431 N. Glenstone Ave. Springfield, MO 65803.
Below is a brief itinerary of the weekend:
Friday, Sept. 8
- Football Practice (open to former players and public) – 3 p.m.
- Meet the team and Coach Chuck Hepola – 3:45 p.m.
- Tour Evangel Athletic Facilities – 4 p.m.
Saturday, Sept. 9
- Registration at DoubleTree – 7:30 a.m.
- Breakfast – 8:30 a.m.
- Speakers include former head coach Denny Duron, Evangel President Dr. Carol Taylor, Dr. Robert Spence, Director of Athletics Dr. Dennis McDonald, former players and more.
- Evangel University Campus Tour – 1 p.m.
- Football Tailgate at Tiger Stadium Ozark, Missouri – 4 p.m.
- Kickoff: Evangel vs. Peru State – 6 p.m.
Evangel football played its first season of intercollegiate football in 1977 under head coach Denny Duron. The Crusaders finished 3-6 during that first season and quickly improved to 5-6 the next season highlighted by a 33-21 victory over Missouri State.
The 2017 season will mark the 41st season of football at Evangel University, as the Crusaders will host Peru State in the home opener, Saturday, September 9.
For the latest information on Evangel Athletics, follow the Crusaders on Facebook at Facebook.com/EvangelAthletics or go to www.EvangelAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Go Evangel Front Row App at EvangelAthletics.com/FrontRow available on Google Play and in the App Store.