KANSAS CITY, Mo. – The Evangel football team remains at No. 8 in the latest NAIA Coaches Top 25 Poll released by the organization on Monday.
With a lot of movement in the top 25 this week, the Crusaders held steady as teams above and below saw plenty of change.
Top seed Saint Francis (Ind.) fell to No. 5 after losing to now No. 3 Marian (Ind.) on Saturday. Morningside (Iowa) moved up one spot to claim the top spot in the poll, followed by Southern Oregon who also slid up a spot.
Northwestern (Iowa) was sandwiched between the two Indiana schools at No. 4 to round out the top five. Reinhardt (Ga.) improved to No. 6, while Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) fell to No. 7 after suffering its first loss of the season. The Crusaders checked in again at No. 8 as Grand View improved to 3-1 on the season and jumped back into the top 10 at No. 9. Bethel (Tenn.) rounds out the top 10 after improving from No. 14 last week.
Evangel leads four Heart of America Athletic Conference schools at No. 8 with Grand View at No. 9 and Benedictine at No. 12. Baker fell to No. 17 after its second loss of the season on Saturday at Benedictine.
(Information from NAIA.org used in this release)
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 1999)
- Morningside's dominance continued against Hastings (Neb.) with a 65-0 win on the road. In the game, the top team in the nation recorded 682 yards of total offense while the defense allowed the Broncos just 98 yards.
- By the numbers, Morningside has the top passing offense in the nation in 2018. So far, the team has 1,959 yards in five games.
- Southeastern (Fla.) rejoins the poll at No. 24 after posting a win over then-No. 22 Webber International (Fla.) on the road. Saint Ambrose (Iowa) also joins the Top 25 with a 4-1 record, the only loss at Saint Francis (Ind.) on Sept. 15.
- Carroll (Mont.) owns the most No. 1-rankings with 57, followed by former NAIA member Sioux Falls (S.D.) (55), Georgetown (Ky.) (25), Marian (22) and Morningside (21) and Saint Francis (Ind.) 20.
- Morningside holds the longest active streak with 143-straight Top 25 mentions.
- The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences.
- Each conference is given one rater for every four schools in the league.
- The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 25 points for each first-place vote, 24 for second place and so on through the list.
- The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low rating) is removed and the team's ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appear on.
- Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered "receiving votes."
- For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here.
For the latest information on Evangel Athletics, follow the Crusaders on Facebook at Facebook.com/EUAthletics or go to www.EvangelAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Go Evangel Front Row App at EvangelAthletics.com/FrontRow available on Google Play and in the App Store.