Score: Evangel 4, Mount Mercy 3 (OT)
Records: Evangel (2-10-2, 2-6-0); Mount Mercy (6-5-3, 2-5-1)
Location: Cedar Rapids, Iowa | Plaster Athletic Complex
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa – Nick Wagner scored his second goal of the night in overtime to give the Evangel men's soccer team a 4-3 win at Mount Mercy on Saturday afternoon.
Evangel was outshot 25-7 by Mount Mercy, however, it was the precision by the Crusaders that helped them take an overtime road win. Wagner and Austin Reinold each finished with multiple shots and Josiah Dinwiddie tallied eight saves to help the Crusaders escape with on the road.
How It Happened
- Nick Wagner finished with two shots, both coming on goal as he scored his first goal in the 56th minute to give the Crusaders a 2-1 lead.
- Ian Creech scored the first goal for Evangel in the 21st minute to tie the game at 1-1 after Souleymane Diallo put Mount Mercy up 1-0 in the 20th minute.
- Mount Mercy regained the lead with two goals just three minutes apart as the first came in the 65th minute to give the Mustangs a 3-2 lead.
- Austin Reinold tied the game in the 85th minute to help send it to overtime before Wagner scored the game winner.
- Dinwiddie tallied eight saves for Evangel.
- Evangel finished with three shots in each half and only one in overtime, the game winner.
- Mount Mercy saw three different goalkeepers in the loss, each one conceding a goal.
Evangel returns home next Saturday to host Grand View on Homecoming weekend. Action is scheduled to start at 5:30 p.m.
For the latest information on Evangel Athletics, follow the Crusaders on Facebook at Facebook.com/EUAthletics or go to www.EvangelAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Go Evangel Front Row App at EvangelAthletics.com/FrontRow available on Google Play and in the App Store.